Friday, July 23, 2010

Thing 3

So I have just completed watching the videos and I started the power points/sideshows, and as I was sitting here going through the slides I noticed that I myself was getting irradiated with the amount of time it was taking me to go through the information. It was way to slow!!!! So I began clicking and moving through the slides at a faster pace....go figure. We live in a world that is instantaneous.

As I look back and as I think about it, I remember when my elementary school (the school I now teach at) got computers, I was in middle school at the time if I remember correctly. And all we ever did on them was practice our typing skills. And now our students need to know more than we ever had to at an even younger age. Students are being taught more complex concepts at a younger age.
We require them to know a lot more than we ever did when we were that age. I can't begin to imagine what will be expected from our students years from now.

Schools are changing, but they change and evolve slowly. In the TIME article about "How to Bring Schools Out of the 20th Century" this part really stuck with me:


Rip Van Winkle awakens in the 21st century after a hundred-year snooze and is, of course, utterly bewildered by what he sees. Men and women dash about, talking to small metal devices pinned to their ears. Young people sit at home on sofas, moving miniature athletes around on electronic screens. Older folk defy death and disability with metronomes in their chests and with hips made of metal and plastic. Airports, hospitals, shopping malls--every place Rip goes just baffles him. But when he finally walks into a schoolroom, the old man knows exactly where he is. "This is a school," he declares. "We used to have these back in 1906. Only now the blackboards are green."

It is amazing to see how things change, and it is truly mind-boggling to imagine where things will end up. However, some things change, but somethings just stay the same.

Change is good!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment